Friday, September 3, 2010

Pottery Barn DIY

So if your anything like me, you'd love to jump into a Pottery Barn magazine and call it home. Everything they do in that magazine screams comfort and style. So in the process of reorganizing our office I received the newest Pottery Barn magazine in the mail. First off I was overjoyed with the Fall front door display (which I plan on reproducing at my door step), but their workspace pages where to die for. The organization, the color schemes, the use of modular wall organizers. I was in heaven. What they call their "Daily System" is composed of interchangeable boards; a corkboard, a linen pinboard, a calender. etc. This was a perfect option for our unused wall space above the desk. But who wants to spend $200 on a wall organizer? Below is the Pottery Barn "Daily System" and below that is my $70 DIY modular wall system.

Pottery Barn "Daily System"


DIY Modular Wall System






What I used:
4 white "Ribba" frames from Ikea.
3 - 9 3/4" x 19 3/4" at $9.99 each
1 - 19 3/4" x 15 3/4" at $15.99 each
1/2 yd of Fabric $3
Roll of 1/2" ribbon $1
Corkboard Roll - $12
8" Small Shelf - $6.99

I took all the glass out of the frame and just kept the solid cardboard back piece. In 3 out of the 4 frames I covered the cardboard piece with either corkboard or fabric, keeping it in place with a staple gun. The ribbon was also held in place with a staple gun. The frame with the shelf, I spray painted the cardboard piece white to match the frames and the shelf. My handy husband then added a small piece of wood behind the shelf so he could nail into something when attaching the shelf. When all frames where assembled we measured and placed picture hooks with matching nails in the wall. After we tested the accuracy of our work we nailed all the frames together in the back. Then ta da... a wall organizer for under $100!



Jacklyn Lorraine

No comments:

Post a Comment